October 3, 2011

My Story

My current pursuit of studying neuroscience has lead me to an obvious path; college. I live in Atlanta, Georgia so after looking online for about five minutes I realized which school would be the best for me to go to: Emory University. If you dont know Emory by just me saying their name, believe me when I tell you they are one of the best Universities in the US with one of the best programs in an array of medical studies, including neuroscience. Now, a little background about me. I went to high school in Indiana, and was a fair student. I got by on about a 3.0-3.2 without really trying very hard. It's kind of silly but I never felt challenged, so I never felt the need to overexert myself with my academia. I then went to Indiana University for a year after which I dropped out because I didn't know what I was doing there and felt like I was wasting my money, time, and energy. And again, didn't really push myself since I didn't have a goal to look ahead to and ended my year with a 2.8 gpa. I moved to Atlanta and have been loving it ever since. Now, as you can imagine, Emory is very prestigious and hold their entering students to a high standard if you are to be accepted. I, of course, do not make the cut. So about two weeks ago I did a tour of Emory and sat in on a information seminar, and afterwards I talked with an admissions adviser and told him what my situation was and asked for guidance on how to go about getting accepted. I was not disappointed, the adviser was more than understanding of my situation and said he admired my current drive for following such a highly regarded and difficult program. He then went on to tell me about Georgia Perimeter College and said to go there and get my Associates. That will allow me the chance to get my gpa up to Emory's standards and also get all my prerequisites out of the way so once I transfer to Emory I will start as a junior and only have to take classes required for my neuroscience degree. Not only that but it'll save me 80-100 thousand dollars in the process (by not attending Emory for the first two years). Not a bad deal! So I just put in my application the other day for GPC and will hopefully start classes in January. And, fingers crossed, some of my credits will transfer from IU. And the best part is, I'm excited! I'm excited to get back to school and start delving into the world of neuroscience. Now I know I probably wont be able to start taking those classes til I get to Emory (in another year or two) but now that I have a goal in mind I feel more prepared than ever to exceed in my classes. I hope this gusto doesn't leave any time soon, it's very invigorating having this passion pushing me forward. It feels good. It feels like I have a purpose, a challenge that I am ready to rise to and accomplish. I'll talk more on how things are going once things start to progress.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog Megan! I noticed here that you're planning to attend Georgia Perimeter College next year. I highly recommend that course of action. I attended the college back-in-the-day when it was still called "DeKalb College." I was able to graduate from their Industrial Management program with a 4.0 GPA, and got admitted to the highly rated Georgia Tech Mechanical Engineering Program.

    ReplyDelete